Tuesday, December 4, 2007

My First Post

I don't really know how to explain how I am feeling right now. I have just sat on my couch for over 2 hours watching shows on the internet when I told my husband that I would do a lot of things today- including writing the multiple papers that are due later this week and study for my monster exams next week. I did manage to feed my self lunch (4 mock-chicken nuggets, 1/2 a peanut butter and honey sandwich, and a glass of blue Gatoraid). I also fed and watered the horses- and just realized I still have to feed and water the dogs (Crud!).

This series of events has made me realize that I really am a procrastinator! S told me this morning as I danced around the bedroom refusing to change into real clothes and out of my PJ's, that if I would stop waisting time I would be the most productive person EVER! This made me feel he had faith in me that one day I will actually get all that I say I will do done- but when I came home this afternoon, what have I done? Waisted time! I honestly feel I have too much time for nothing!

So I did a google search on "procrastination" and found a website called www.structuredprocrastination.com. I was fascinating! I started to realize what makes me actually do things (motivates me) and what doesen't. I promised a friend that I would sew somethings for her, and she would pay me for my work. She would then sell the products in her store. Great idea right! Well- I have had the materials she purchased for over 3 months now and I have hardly worked on them. Something just keeps me from completing the task! I have done dozens of other things in these three months that didn't really need to be done first, but I did them because- well, I don't really know why I did them.

Thing I do on a regular basis with no real problem.
  1. Pay Bills- If I don't, then they would be late and we would be charged late fees (I am not into waisitng money), and S would stress about money (we don't want that)
  2. Feed Animals- For the most part. They would die without us to take care of them! That is just plain Crazy!
  3. Homework- well sometimes. I am getting better at assignments with due dates, but studding for tests is a whole 'nother story.
  4. Grocery Shop- I guess if I didn't, just like the animals- we would starve!
  5. Eat Ice cream and Bake Cupcakes- these are my addictions. I try really hard to convince S that there must be something wrong with my blood sugar, and that is why I crave sweets.
  6. List make- I make lots and lots of lists. Grocery lists, things to do today, things to study, bills, etc. I even make Lists of Lists!
Things I do NOT do on a regular basis well
  1. What I say I am going to do- i.e., the sewing projects,
  2. Things I don't want to do- i.e., running errands, this is a big one- Waking up and getting out of bed, oh yes- and showers (I am sure there will be more on this later)
  3. Feed myself- trust me, lunch today was a major success. If I have to make food just for myself, then I usually just worry to much about what to make that I never get around to eating.
  4. Avoid naps- this is one of my major time waisting activities
  5. Fallow my lists- or even keep up with my lists for that matter. Every once in a while I start a list book! That just stresses me out to see how many lists I make!
So what have I learned from all of this? I have learned that I need to get off my butt, turn the TV off- turn the music up- and get to the things that I need to do. I also acknowledge that one of my main issues is being alone. I think I might make S help me bathe my dog so she can stay in the house with me during the days when I am alone. We will see if it gets done.

Ok- my To Do list for this evening and tomorrow-
  1. Clip and file Sunday's coupons
  2. Bathe C-dog so she can hang out with me in the house
  3. Start and finish my theater paper
  4. Start my Intro papers
  5. Work on management note cards (and read the chapters for my final)
  6. Pick up the front room
I feel this is a manageable list, and can accomplish it if I cut back on the procrastination and play. I guess I will not be watching Heros disk 3 tonight- well, at least not all 4 episodes.

What is on your list? Do you employee any great strategies for accomplishing them? Do you have some pressing task that for some reason you just cannot complete?

No comments: