Friday, December 14, 2007

Taming the Budget

Finals are officially over. I took my last one this morning and my theater class loved the cupcakes that I took. They deemed the confetti ones the best ones I have ever made!

Unfortunately, that means that my week of no cooking is also officially over. This is our first semester, and therefore our first finals week of being married. I am by no means the traditional wife, and my husband the traditional husband. We work together as a team and for the most part I don't cook. I have just now began to bake and am loving every minuet of it! S and I have an agreement that S does most of the cooking and I do most the cleaning. These are not set in stone, as sometimes I do cook easy things such as microwavable things and a few recipes that I have mastered. Ohh- new post idea!

The whole "we don't cook during finals" started when S and I got engaged. I called one of my the "friends" and she just couldn't believe it! How was I going to juggle classes and coming home to cook dinner? Are you kidding me! Why would I ever worry about that? That girl and I are no longer friends (She got married a month after she graduated last year in one of the ugliest and waste of money weddings I have ever seen! Ohh revenge is sweet!!!)

So now the challenge is to keep on financial track by saving money and eating at home. Lunches should be pretty easy because I will be home most days and S gets free lunch on days he works at the bike store.

My plan is to stay on a $50 week grocery budget through the end of January. This will be our first real experiment with a good budget. All of our bills stay the same every month, and so does S's GI Bill and Marine College Fund check, so our spending and income is pretty predictable, but I am budgeting to try and spend less. We are about to start a savings plan in preparation for our graduations and moving this summer!

Ok- So now a list!

Things we can make from the food in my house
  1. Various pasta dishes
  2. Pizza
  3. Veggie Stir-fry
  4. Bean Burritos
  5. Waffles
  6. PB&J, PB&Honey, and Fluffernutter sandwiches
  7. 6 can soup
  8. Veggie noodle soup
Thats all I can think of the moment, but I haven't gone through the pantry before me weekly grocery shopping trip.

No comments: